9.30.2006

Entertaining v. Hospitality

Because of my work and my interests/hobbies, I am always looking for different definitions of these two words and how people live them out. The more I see, the more I am convinced of their separate distinction. Some thoughts...

Entertaining. I have been a faithful subscriber to Martha Stewart Living for eight years. While I disagree with her politics, etc., her work has been highly influential in my life, especially in my earlier stages of finding my feminine identity. More recently though, I've been disgusted with her magazine. I still don't know if she's changed or I've changed, but nevertheless, I'm certainly less enchanted. To me MSL is the epitome of self-seeking, self-glorification. Yes, even over fashion culture. Why? Because it raises the humble meal, le repas (the French version which always reminds me of "respite" - now that's a thought...), to a level of snobbery and self-gratification. Entertaining with an emphasis on ME! Look what I can do, look how fabulous I am!

Martha replaces an everyday joy with an extravaganza, and most likely you'll only be invited to attend if you're good enough. (I also have recently been getting Food and Wine but there too, have been disappointed by its extreme snobbery.) I feel like the present food culture will soon resemble a pre-French Revolution "Let them eat cake!" dichotomy, only without rolling heads, please. In an effort to outdo even themselves, these leaders of dining entertainment forget that simplicity can be just as tasty. Meals are a common necessity; kings and queens shouldn't be the only ones to get a delicious one.

Hospitality. My working definition goes something like: Going to any effort to make anyone feel special and show them you care, whether that's in food preparation, overnight guests or giving gifts. Who said fine china was just for Sunday dinner? Or that even the piano tuner wouldn't appreciate a yummy scone? (That's a shout-out to my mom, btw.)

Similarities: Both hospitality and entertaining deal with hosting, guests, and food. Both describe an eagerness to share something whether your money, meal, or home. Both are a form of art. Differences: Entertaining starts with a desire to serve man. Hospitality starts with a desire to serve God. Entertaining cheapens beauty by emphasizing the moment. Hospitality enriches the moment by allowing for an opportunity to share the love of Christ.

Do I mean all food should be bland and nasty and do I have complete disregard for the gourmet? Absolutely not! Au contraire, mon ami! No, while there's no need for excess, I do think every meal should be tasty. And I emphasize every because I think there's a severe need to beautify the daily details of life. As Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Would you want to serve an unknown angel food from a paper plate?

The joy is in the daily serving. The joy is in making someone feel loved.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:31:00 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Good post, Shannon. I think you highlighted an important distinction. I feel the same way about Martha Stewart! But I also think it's important to make daily things beautiful and special, because we can minister to others that way. Edith Schaeffer's book "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" is a book that I found inspirational on that topic.

 
At Sunday, October 01, 2006 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Shannon Koons said...

Yes, Mrs. Schaeffer figured it out! I want to be her. :) And I love "Hidden Art," as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home