5.30.2006

On Being Faithful

Now Ornan turned and saw the angel; and his four sons who were with him hid themselves, but Ornan continued threshing wheat. 1 Chronicles 21:20

While reading this passage last night I was struck by the diligent faithfulness of Ornan. I think if I looked out my door and saw the Lord's Angel standing there with sword in hand, I would have hid myself too. Fast. I don't know what the views of escatology were in OT times, but had that been me, I would have been pretty sure the end was right in front of me. Unless of course, seeing angels was a common occurance. Doubtful. But Ornan kept working, unphased by the presence of God's Messenger. Apparently, Ornan knew what he was doing because later, he is rewarded by David.

This passage reminded me of Edith Schaeffer's position in her book Affliction (among the top five most influential books in my life). Mrs. Schaeffer asks what would be our response if we knew that Jesus was scheduled to return tomorrow. Most Christians she says, would hurry out and evangelize and try to make as many converts as they could, or do something to fix their problems, get right with God, etc, etc. But what we should do, she says, is to keep doing what God has called us to do and to do it well. Don't digress from the task God has placed before you. If you're doing what he's called you to do, then his coming shouldn't change your work, but rather reinforce the importance of it.

It's comforting to know that your calling fits you perfectly. When you're doing what God has asked, nothing can stop you from being fulfilled in your work. If we are at peace with it, we cannot be distracted from it, even if it's an Angel with a sword. I know for me, I hope I get to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Great observations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home