5.04.2006

Musical Musings and Vibrations

Today ended my course in Music Psychology (with the exception of my catch-up work). This is the first class I've actually enjoyed since starting graduate school. I know that doesn't say much since I've taken only nine hours each semester compared to my senior year of twenty hours times two, but still. I'm quite disappointed that my illness prevented me from keeping up with the work and I wish I could have absorbed more of the information. I think Music Psychology is a fascinating field of research, which is in summary, the power of music over the body, behavior, and the brain. It is overwhelming to understand just a little of how the brain works because it is so delicate.

The last paper presentation in class today dicussed the importance of vibration and how the universe is in a constant state of vibration. My colleague was making the point that musical sound can be defined as simply a vibration, therefore music is an inescapable entity. If all of the universe is in a state of vibration, then it is constantly musical. So educators, etc., who deny the importance of music deny the very essence of existence. While I think this is an incredible idea, I also think that as with everything else, it must be tempered. What would vibration be without the oppposing force to balance it? Anyways, I've been pondering this vibration topic since class.

I mentioned in class how in this sense life itself is music. My wise brother once encouraged me with the simple reminder that each time you lifted a finger, you affected every atom in the universe. If you have the mindset that every action you take can influence something or someone else, and that every action sets off another vibration, then every life action participates in the universal music. Implication or application? I think that if we were more aware of the potential affect our actions could have, we would be more cautious of how we spent our energies. Two great movies tackle similar topics, Happenstance and Run Lola Run and both of them have a unique spin. (Disclaimer: they're both foreign films.)

Sometimes though I wonder what it's like to see the universe through God's perspective. Imagine panning out on a massive zoom lens and viewing everything like little ants running around in their chaos. But the assuring thing is that it's not chaos; it is ordered. I would love to see how beautiful the universe looks with each vibration moving in its cycle just as God planned.

Life itself is music. Living life is a musical act.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home