1.27.2006

Surreal Scandal

A Butler professor was fired yesterday on the accusation of rape. (See story here.) I didn't know the guy nor have I ever had class with him, but I did know who he was by face. I'm not surprised because my impression from him was, "ooh creep," but equally freaky is that he lives right behind me. Our kitchen windows open onto the same courtyard and I have seen him at his kitchen sink. I was joking with Shannon last night that we could take pictures of our view and sell them on the web. Not really.

I've been thinking about this all day and it really saddens me. How desperate must a man be to stoop so low to gain a woman? I've been really disturbed by how easy it might be to be put into that same situation. By all appearances, Mr. Filice would have seemed to be a perfectly good guy, with an education, career, position, etc. How easy it might be to not suspect such a guy yet how quickly a girl could become a victim. I found it very strange to sit at my kitchen table and think that once there was a girl across the yard who was in trouble and no one could help. Sometimes its hard to imagine that rapes happen, especially in a professional environment. Needless to say, it hit close to home, literally.

I'm not usually an immediately trusting person; it takes me awhile to warm up to someone. It's not a trademark of which I'm often proud, but sometimes I feel it has been God's protection layer. I often get attention from lesser men and not being a flirtatious person, it never really bothers me because I know how to ignore it. I guess just not all ambitions are as obvious.
----------------------------
In other news... the Friday morning breakfast club resumed its activities today, but apparently the early bird doesn't always get the worm. A 7:00 meeting time was established but the restaurant of choice didn't open until 7:30. Neither did Plan B. Plan C ended up being Qdoba's breakfast burritos without coffee. The company was fantastic but the food left much to be desired. Note to self: Qdoba's is best at lunch.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:53:00 AM, Blogger Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

Hey Shannon!

I've been going through old high school/ college pictures and letters and have come across some fun ones of Scotland and other fun times we've had together. It made me wish I was closer so we could share a pot of tea and catch up...
I've had fun reading your blog, and just noticed that you linked me on yours. Isn't technology great...most of the time?

Freakiness with that prof. scandal. Praise God for His protection and direction in our lives.

Sarah

 
At Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:18:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good to see that you're judging based on preliminary reports.

I've known him for a couple of years and he's actually a really nice guy (and no, he never raped me)

So before you go freaking out too much, remember that whole pesky "innocent until proven guilty" thing, ok?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home