1.05.2006

A Must See

Memoirs of a Geisha

It was truly a beautiful film. The use of color and light, fabrics and textures, lens angle, etc. C'est superb. But, I have to say for the record that the music did beat all. The typical gushing John Williams melodies with Eastern instruments and tonalities, percussion, etc were fantastic but the prize goes to the solos by Yo Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman. Oh heaven help me.

Some reviews I've read criticize the film's lack of authenticity and accuracy and the culture wars ensuing over the Chinese actress playing a Japanese role, but don't let that deter you from seeing it. Luckily, I haven't read the book and really had no idea what a Geisha involved, so I watched it without preconceived notions or expectations.

I could go on about the many levels of interpretation this film presented, but I'll spare you my opinion. It did remind me of several books I read in French literature classes which defined the seperate class of women - the social inbetweens, although the Geisha is a class of it's own. I learned a lot from the film and am interested to learn more. I don't think a feminist would be too keen on the Geisha tradition, but then I guess that's the whole point.

Go see it. Just make sure you are old enough, as there are sexual elements in it.
-----------------------------------------------------
1/07/06:

I went to see Memoirs again for the second time yesterday. Still just as powerful and moving. I really appreciate films (and books) that force you to look at humanity with open eyes, even if it hurts. I love this film because it puts me in a position to evaluate what I would have done, had I been that girl. We Christians can put on all the hats of moral righteousness we want, but when it we come face to face with an issue like prostitution, how different are we really? I don't think I am.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:12:00 PM, Blogger Amy K said...

I'd like to see this movie but will probably have to wait 'til it comes out on video. As soon as I saw the preview it really interested me. Thanks for your review. :)

P.S. I haven't been reading blogs too much lately but I'm glad to see you've picked up blogging again! Right now I'm home alone with Meredith since Kevin's at a Globetrotter game. A friend called this morning and offered a free ticket. Needless to say, he was elated. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home