8.25.2006

On Being an Engineer's Daughter

You are what you eat. True. You are what you read. Still true. You are what your parents are. Truer. Pastor's kids lead Bible studies. Doctor's kids know how the body works. Journalist's kids can write. Engineer's kids. Well, we know about a whole different side of life. We're taught things like...

-how to read a map
-how the interstates are numbered across the continental US and why
-what a "planned city" is and how they work
-how mile markers work on interstates
-where the rest stops are along I-70
-how to read a blueprint. well, at least we know what blueprints are.
-how to anticipate the end result of new road construction
and most importantly,
-why engineers really aren't destroying all the cornfields in Indiana

I think my dad's brilliant. I especially love it when he gets really excited about the most random things. He has many talents and he never ceases to amaze me. His latest accomplishment is the recitation of the Indiana counties in alphabetical order. Yup, all 92. Mom and I were in the car tonight ROLLING with laughter. He said his next goal is to memorize towns. Why? we asked. So then when he runs for senator he can at least know where he is in the state. Oh, Dad, you're so wonderful. Thanks for my irreplaceable education.

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 28, 2006 6:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad is fabulous...my roomate should chat with him, because she has a chart of the license plate numbers for all the counties in Indiana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home