7.23.2006

On the Joys of Working Retail and On Men Who Are Often Creepy

Working retail has given me many interesting experiences, especially involving the various types of men with whom I am forced to interact. Most are among the awkward type, but there have been the few and far between of decent guys. There has been 1) the "I just had to come back and tell you how beautiful your eyes are" line; 2) "Do you ever tango? I need a partner" (said by some guy in his 60s!), and 3) The several straight employees who have asked me out ("I'm making meat loaf tonight and can't eat all of it. Want to come?" Uhh no thanks??). I finally quit wearing my name tag because it seemed to just invite unwanted attention. I guess if they know your name they assume you're more accessible. Remaining anonymous is key to maintaining your distance. Basically, if you're a guy and you're shopping at a kitchen store you're either taken and with your fiancee, gay, or a creep.

Today's Event #1:

I'm helping a this guy and his wife at the store tonight. We're standing there waiting on something, making small talk, etc., and the guy makes a comment about my hair. I don't know why he felt compelled to talk about my hair, but I politely respond with something like, "No, it really is my color. Got it from my dad," but not too nice hoping he'd get the hint to stop talking. Well he didn't and kept making other random hair-related comments like, "Oh think of all the money you're saving." Huh? Ok whatever. I've always hated it when guys comment on my hair and sometimes hate my hair because of it. Tonight was especially awkward because this guy said all this with his wife standing right there. Hello! Does she appreciate it when you hit on store clerks in her presence? The worst part was that she wore a close-fitting hat with that I-just-survived-chemotherapy look about her. I couldn't believe the guy's nerve. Could he have been any more insensitive?

Today's Event #2:

We had a visiting manager checking out our store today. Late 50s, extremely effeminate. He was so excited to be there and was way too talkative for my patience level. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. At what point in your life do you realize it's empty? When are success and achievements measured in values that extend beyond the next paycheck? Do you get to this point, realize you have nothing to truly live for, and then push it all behind so it will be less painful? As a man, even if you are oriented differently, don't you still want to be a man, to be proud of your work? When you have no family to provide for, no legacy to leave behind, no grandchildren to play with, what makes your work valuable?

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:40:00 PM, Blogger Jen said...

ahh the joys of retail. I can't believe the nerve of that one guy...commenting on your hair in front of his wife?!?!?! Jerk....well Shannon, I guess you just need to try not look so beautiful working...maybe wear a ugly hat and frumpy clothes? No...just kidding...keep being beautiful.... :) (ohh and i love your hair too...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home