6.29.2006

For Posterity's Sake

I cleaned out my file cabinet yesterday. Amazingly enough, it was a difficult chore because of the confusion concerning what stays and what goes. Throwing out old clothes is pretty straightforward, but cleaning out documents?

In today's technological society, how will we be remembered? Not long ago, people didn't have much and treasured their documents as proof of existence. What family researcher doesn't thrill to find an old receipt or grade report of their ancestors? These things are needed as our autobiography, to prove we once were. Today, photos, documents, and communication can easily be lost when a computer crashes or when the new technology soon replaces last year's model. Do we value these items less today? Do we feel less need to validate our lives? Are we caught up in technological advances?

In a research methods class last year, the archivist at the university library talked about the loss of documentation in today's culture. When a person needs to research Beethoven, etc., there are letters and documents a plenty. But with today's technology, communication is emailed and then deleted, leaving the contemporary researcher with nothing to find.

So how will I remembered? Do I need to save my all grade reports and research papers so one day my grandkids will find it? What about my sermon notes and thank you letters? What about all those receipts and bank statements?

Maybe someday I'll make an enormous book that captures brief moments in my history. It will my autobiographical legacy. For whomever will need to read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home