7.10.2006

A Cry for Normalcy

Remind me to raise normal children... if I ever get the chance.

Today was the start of the second piano camp for elementary students. One day down, four more to go. Never have I been with a more egotistical group of kids. I don't know if it was first day jitters or a persistent habit.

One boy, commenting on his inability to figure out paper clips, "I go to the school for the gifted, so you'd think I should know how."

Another girl, "I'm going in August to Italy and then Lebanon, the country not Indiana."

Another, "I'm going in two weeks to Scotland. Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, you know."

Yet another, "I've gone to Disney World every year of my life." (We went to Disney World once in my life and I don't recall ever wanting to return.)

Me, making small talk asked, "So what school do you go to?" Answer: "I go to Park Tudor." Ok babe, you're 11 and you're already out of my league.

Good grief! Whatever happened to camping trips and playing in the park? Do all kids have to one-up the other, or just these particular wannabees? Getting kids to play instruments at a young age is fantastic, but not if it puts their childhood at risk. I want my kids to be smart and be able to play piano, of course, but more than that I want them to be respectful and able to enjoy the life God gave them, whatever kind of life it is.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I don't know - parents can certainly influence their children by giving them grown-up ways to be snobs, but left to themselves kids are sinners too, and can be snobs about kid stuff like how they can twirl on the tire swing 52 times before they barf.

Hearts are tough to tame!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home