8.19.2006

In Rememberance

I feel as though I just returned from attending a funeral. A funeral I should have attended five years ago.

When the 9/11 attacks hit, I had just returned to the States a few days previously. The events were superficial to me. I watched it happen on TV but saw only the theatrics and felt separated from it all. I cried but I didn't grieve. I shied away from sentimentality and pondered politics and war.

But tonight, I grieved.

I grieved for the loss. For the people I don't know now, but maybe I'll meet them someday. I grieved for a city, a nation. I grieved for evil, for sin. For this crazy, post-modern world where tolerance is the victor and the enemy can run freely.

When the newspapers printed the statistics of the loss, and I saw them as numbers. I had forgotten how much one life means to so many, many people. Tonight, I remembered. I saw before me the contrast of death and destruction with life and living, and I remembered. Life is precious and it is worth fighting to preserve it.

I remembered what it means to believe in a sovereign God. I saw a small glimpse of my world and remembered that God not only sees the whole picture but ordains every single event within it.

I thought about Genesis 3:15 when God promises that although Satan bruises the heel, Christ has the ultimate victory and bruises his head. I thought about David and his struggles with the same emotions and questioning God's timing and sovereignty. I remembered that God is good.

It's good to grieve. It's good to remember. We shouldn't forget the places or the people. But more importantly we shouldn't forget Who we serve or neglect our faith in His sovereign goodness.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home