1.30.2004

Greg Garrison and the NEA

On my way to class this morning, I was listening to Greg Garrison's talk show. I came very close to calling in, but I didn't know the number for WIBC and I was already late to class. I usually agree with him on everything, but today he upset me. The NEA. I don't support the NEA's endeavors at all, but I did not appreciate Garrison's comments either. He was carrying on about how increasing funding for the NEA was the worst sin the administration could commit.

Without a doubt, I agree the NEA is not the best organization nor does it promote quality and morality in art. But, as Schaeffer once said that the artists express the times better than any of the disiplines or writers, musicians, philosophers. The root cause isn't with the NEA, but with culture's direction and the reasons behind the grotesque art's production.
Garrison's approach was extremely antagonistic, and denied any consideration of what good the NEA might support and how it could be benificial. It upset me that he would cut down the one instution which provides funding for otherwise struggling artistic endeavors without replacing it with more options. His implication was that funding art was a waste period. (He'd rather spend the money abroad in Iraq.)

I admit I'm still not sure what I think about government funding in the arts. I do think though that it is complete ignorance to dismiss it. Garrison did offer one option that the government can legitimately fund art through education. Last time I checked though, schools are removing art and music programs like they're cutting chocolate from their diet. Does Garrison not understand the importance of art (and I'm using "art" to imply all aspects of "art") and its value on education and society, and simply human nature? In order to talk about government funding in the arts, it would be advantageous for Garrison to do a bit more research first before broadcasting an opinion. While in theory it may not be the ideal for a conservative capitalist, but in practice there would be absolutely no story to Art History without government intervention. The greatest works of art, and particularily music, exist today thanks to government funding.

While I wistfully wish for drastic changes to the NEA, I say kudos to Bush for supporting an instution that can reach all levels of the socio-economic sphere. A society at home has to be worth protecting abroad and art is an important aspect of that society and it should not be overlooked.

--------------------
On a side note, it is my prayer that Christians would remove themselves from their highly uncomfortable places on their white horses, get to know some real world artists, understand art honestly and do something about it to change it. This is why I'm travelling 2 hours tonight to hear Christopher Parkening, one of the greatest guitarists and one of the very few Christians in the art world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home