4.03.2007

Faking Beauty

Natural causes. I'm not much gifted at fashion, skin care, or beauty products. Maybe it's because I'm a Yankee, maybe it's because my mom wasn't that in to it. Either way, I've been a self-taught late bloomer and my beauty experience is largely trial and error. If products require longevity to see results, that's where I often err because after the bottle's empty, I'm off to try something else.

Enlisting help. 1) Recently, I was shopping at the cosmetic store Sephora for some new make-up. I commented to the lady helping me on how I liked her look. She pointed out the blush she was wearing and I was shocked. It was this bright fuchsia pink and her skin was paler than mine. Encouraged by her success, I tried something similar and so far, I think I like it. 2) The TV show "What Not To Wear" is the next best thing to hiring professional help. Watch and learn! 3) Real Simple Magazine's monthly "Road Test" recommendations are also helpful.

Live and Learn. If it's hypo-allergenic, fragrance free, and non-comedogenic, you can't go wrong. If you can smell it a mile away, stay away. The secret to a good shave is exfoliation. Milk baths equal amazing. If you want to change your look, go with the thing most opposite your natural inclination. You just might be surprised.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon, "What Not to Wear" has become my must see TV for Friday night...am I pathetic or what, or as Stacey would say "Shut Up!" I love that show. And, I might add "Real Simple" is the only magazine I currently subsribe to. Great minds think alike. Love ya! Aunt K

 
At Wednesday, April 04, 2007 9:44:00 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

I love Sephora because you can try everything out. Of course, if one is not careful, one can wind up wearing too much eyeshadow. But who knew how cool "acid rain" looks on top of "naughty plum," with liquid eye liner in "peacock" topping it all off? :)

 
At Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:56:00 PM, Blogger Amy K said...

Yes, I think I saw an episode on WNTW last year where a lady with pale skin was told she should wear really bright pink blush and put just enough on to give her cheek a "kiss." She looked amazing in it. It brightened her whole countenance. I wouldn't have thought to go with something that "neon."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home