3.12.2007

An Alternative Spring Break

I'm writing from my hotel room in the not-so-sunny Rochester, MN, where I'm staying with my grandparents at the Mayo Clinic. So far, my impression is that the emphasis around here is on academics and not aesthetics. The buildings are drab and the weather is dreary. I think they could improve their patients health simply by adding more cheery colors! It has a sad atmosphere as all the people in staying at the hotel, sitting in restaurants, and walking on the streets are here because of illness. Their faces are downcast, hopeless, and hurting. At the same time, there is a sense of community care. A place where bystanders don't stare and wheelchairs are pushed shamelessly because everyone here is on equal ground. Knowing you need help brings humility and an awareness of other people's needs too. In other news, I've got my stack of books staring at me above the tv. I put them there on purpose so I'll have an internal battle: Tv? Study? Tv? Study? Also, the treadmill is literally right outside my door, so I have no excuse not to exercise this week.

4 Comments:

At Monday, March 12, 2007 2:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are taking care of Grma and Grpa. Go shopping with Grma!
Aunt B.

 
At Monday, March 12, 2007 3:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It says much about your character that you are willingly choosing to spend your spring break at such a drab place to keep your grandma company and such! I owe you one big time! Thanks for going Shannon. I love you, Aunt Kathy

 
At Monday, March 12, 2007 8:03:00 PM, Blogger Shannon Koons said...

Well honestly I feel selfish... free hotel room all to myself, free food... :)

 
At Monday, March 12, 2007 8:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did too when we went there. Just enjoy the one on one time with your grandparents! Aunt B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home