1.24.2007

Christ and Coffee

So how did Christ reveal Himself to you today?

I saw Him twice today. At Starbucks.

#1

I had a conversation with the Starbucks worker. He’s a friend of my brother’s and went to church with us once. We were chatting about life, school, getting real jobs, etc. I’m not a natural at small talk, but I thought to myself, “This is a moment when I need to keep going and not cut off the conversation to go put sugar and milk in my coffee.” So I keep smiling and nodding and listening to him tell me how his artwork is going to be published, all the while trying to focus on eye contact and not his very odd Mohawk. Then he says, “I really want to go to church again with you all. I’m not working Sunday mornings anymore, so now I’m free to. I really enjoyed it last time.” Had I gotten my coffee fixin's too soon, I would have missed an opportunity to encourage him to attend church.

#2

“Hey, Veritas Lady!”

I’ve been called a lot of things in my life, but that was a new one. So I turn and here’s this guy who had been to Veritas a couple of times before, but I haven’t seen him in ages and completely shocked he’d remember me. He’s not easy to forget: a tall, middle-aged African-American man with a lazy eye. He’s starts talking to me about how he thought Veritas was really great and how he wants to move on from his truck driving job to start a college ministry with international students. He’s a very sweet guy and it was encouraging to hear his admiration for Veritas’s work. Had I pretended not to recognize him, I would have missed an opportunity for a rewarding conversation with a fellow Christian.

So basically, spend your afternoons in Starbucks and you just might be surprised by more than the great tasting coffee. Lesson: Be available, be open, and smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home