9.10.2007

Ecclesiastes 3:4

There is a time for everything under heaven. But what timing.

There was a time to mourn the loss of Grandpa. The depth and quality of grief that I experienced was new to me, even though I've lost other family members. But even so, I can't imagine what it must feel like for a husband or father. In a family's grieving, everyone is mourning a different person. There is a reason they put those tacky ribbons on funeral bouquets that say "Grandpa," "Father," "Husband," etc. Because it's true - one person is all those things and is mourned and missed accordingly. His absence has yet to become a reality. Does it ever?

There was a time to dance. The morning after the funeral, I started my new job at Taylor. I'm not dancing yet, but I'm driving a lot and I'm teaching music... isn't that close enough? Time moves on.

Ecclesiastes doesn't make it clear that sometimes the times overlap. Where's the struggle? In finding the balance.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon, about 10 years ago my grandfather (Opa) died. My only comment is be thankful for the time you had with him. You will always value your time with him. You will cry about missing him - I do about mine from time to time and he will continue to provide advise even in his absence as you will remember him and his approach to life.

The Belgic Confession is a good reminder and does help me personally when I feel wretched. Stay strong!

john lanting
johnlanting@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home