9.24.2004

Providence Evidence

8:07 am.
-- My alarm's pestering finally got to my conscience. I realized there really was no way around getting up and going to the stinking mandatory convocation that started at 9:00. The covers are thrown back and into the shower I go.

9:00 am.
-- My hair was still wet... so much for making it to the convocation on time. Guess I'd just have to be late. Too bad.

9:25 am.
-- My act is finally in gear and I've started on my way to school. I'm going to be late to the convo, but at least I can make part of it, well enough to fill out a recital attendance credit. My plan was to attend a concert for a homework assignment downtown at 11:00 as well, so I think maybe I could pull off both.

9:37 am.
-- As I exit I-65 at 38th St, the radio station 88.7 announced its live broadcast from Hilbert Circle Theatre. It sounded like the concert was a lot bigger deal than I had originally thought. I am faced with a quick decision. I could a) go to school, be late, park at Hinkle (I'd get there around 9:50), walk to Clowes and stay there for all of 40 minutes, walk all the way back to Hinkle to my car, and be downtown by 11:00. It was feasible, but it risked not being able to get a ticket. Or b) skip the convocation entirely and go straight downtown, get a ticket, attend the concert and then return at 1:00 for class. I chose option b, and got back on the interstate.

10:02 am.
-- After fighting through hair nets and canes, I'm at the box office and I plop down my student I.D. for a ticket. "We don't have student tickets for pop concerts," she said. WHAT! I had just called them and was told "be sure to bring your ID!" I was obviously annoyed. I had driven downtown for this concert in order to complete a school project. I'm standing there, thinking "what now?" and if I had enough time to get back to the convo before it was over. After a few minutes the lady said, "Here's a main floor ticket on us. Please, just go away." Sweet...

12:17 pm.
-- After a really great performance, I'm headed to my car. But as I walk there, I listen to the shocking voicemail my mom left for me, just a few minutes earlier. "SHANNON, DO NOT GO TO SCHOOL!!! A Butler police officer has been shot dead in the Hinkle parking lot. It all happened around 10:30 this morning. The whole school, neighborhood, and all other public schools are in a lock-down. They say not to go near the area because the armed suspect is still at large. Don't go back to class, just come home."

-- What? I was stunned. Still walking up flights of stairs to my car, I started crying, so shocked by the event.

-- Did God orchestrate my day in order to protect me from harm? Had I gone to school, I would have probably been an eye witness to this heinous crime, and in personal danger too. I guess I'll never know for sure... It's like those "choose your own adventure" books. I'm just thankful my story got off to a late start. He knows the number of hairs on my head...

1 Comments:

At Friday, September 24, 2004 6:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say? Wow. A very appropriate account considering the title of your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home